From:
ardeith l carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jun 2002 13:45:46 -0400
On Sat, 1 Jun 2002 12:54:27 -0400 Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]> writes:
 > Whether you like it or not, the most commonly used definition of
> "paleo" on this list is this: Edible by paleolithic people.  That
> means edible by people/hominids with minimal technology.

Ardeith writes:
Yes, but "minimal technology" for paleo people includes the
use of shaped stone tools, sharp stone shards for cutting,
and fire.........our ancestors had the ability to gather grass
seed heads seasonally, munch on the green ones (taste
sweetish), and soak the ripened seed to add to "stews"
cooked in a hide pot.    They also had the ability to use
sharp sticks to dig out tubers and bulbs.  The young,
immature pods of almost all beans and peas are edible
raw.....it's only when they are allowed to mature that
the pods become tough, and when they are allowed
to dry out that they need to be soaked before cooking.

Our ancestors around the world used every thing edible
in their environments.....tubers, beans, peas, leaves and
stems, seed, fruit.....did I leave out any plant parts?
And they ate every meat source out there....including
bugs, which is not somewhere I choose to go.

But they did not have access to refined sugars and
grain products, not did they have to deal with hormonally
"enhanced" meat and dairy products.......for me,
personally, cutting out the refined sugars and grain
products and trying to find grass-fed meats....cow, pig,
or chicken, is about as far as it goes.   And all the
information in the world about the benefits of fats
from deep sea cold water fishes is not getting there
either.  Our ancestors had little, to no, access to such
fishes.....not until they began to go "down to the sea
in boats".......or if they were in the right place to
harvest salmon coming upriver to breed......

My bottom line is....fresh vegetables, raw or steamed,
the healthiest meats I can find, and limited amounts of
rice or potato or sweet potato......no refined sugars,
no grain products......I do use tomatoes and I know
they are "new world" not European ancestrals.....
but salads all of greens bore me.   I have lost weight
....and I don't get that "got to sleep right now" reaction
after a meal (which really bothered me).....and my
RA is giving me less trouble.......

So, my thanks to Ray for his book, and my thanks
to the Eades for theirs.....I feel much better.....
And that's my bottom line......

Walk The Path With Practical Feet!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.