From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 15:40:46 -0800
I have been on Paleo for a while now, except for the following
exceptions:
I drink a bit of Scotch Whiskey or dry wine almost every day
I drink 1 or 2 cups of coffee every week or so (not every day)
I use butter (I think it is a good fat)

On Thanksgiving I made a huge meal, including a bread oyster stuffing
and a paleo stuffing (maybe not...are chestnuts paleo? I don't know if
you can eat them raw, so maybe they are not) and several kinds of
desserts. I ate everything (except the mashed potatoes) and as soon as
that stuff hit my stomach, I felt weighed down, bloated, pretty awful.
This feeling lasted into the next day.

I gained about 3 pounds over this, probably water weight.

About three weeks later I had some pie, and the same thing happened. I
have arrived at the conclusion that it is not worth it and I will no
longer "cheat". The other night I craved sweets and went and had about 6
dates, Medjool dates, which are very sugary but I think are paleo, and
felt well satisfied.

My birthday came up recently, and I stayed paleo except that I went to a
Japanese restaurant and ate Miso soup (made from soy), skipping the tofu
at the bottom of the bowl.

I have returned to my former weight and I think I'll probably start
losing again soon. But this WOE has its own reward and is self
perpetuating!

BTW, I am trying to eat mostly grass fed animals. Whole Foods has
started carrying New Zealand beef, which I think is grass fed. I know
that Argentine beef is grass fed, but Argentine looks a lot darker than
the NZ. Anyone know for sure about NZ beef? It tastes gamier than grain
fed, but not as gamey as Argentine. (Argentine is available here at a
local premium market called Gelson's.)

--Richard