From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 20:49:02 MST
Phil gave us this link:

>and a food fight breaks out:
>      http://cnn.com/2000/FOOD/news/02/25/high.protein/index.html

Thanks, Phil.  As a former journalist I hate to admit it, but I've heard the
news media blow it twice on this one, referring to the Atkins Diet as 'no
carb'.  Even the induction phase includes salad each day, with the weight
loss phase consisting of the amount of carbs your body can consume before
going out of ketosis.  That's low-carb, not NO carb.

Here comes the criticism:

   Low-fat proponents say their balanced diet decreases the risk of high
cholesterol and heart disease. High-protein advocates say their way reduces
the risk of diabetes and high blood pressure by helping people lose weight.

Hello!  Carb reduction does all of the above.

   Dr. Fred Finelli, a transplant surgeon at Washington Hospital Center,
lost 30 pounds in the last 6 months using the Atkins diet. Blood tests show
his cholesterol is even better than usual.

   "I don't know the biochemistry behind it, I just know that my cholesterol
has gone down and my other numbers are really good," said Finelli.

What, you didn't read the frickin' BOOK?  It's all right there in black and
white!  Okay, I remember more documentation in Protein Power than the Atkins
Diet, but even Atkins does a decent job of explaining the whys and
wherefores.  God help us if this is as smart as our doctors get.

At any rate, thanks for posting the link in case some people have missed
this story.  I've seen/heard this reported three times now.  Rush Limbaugh
ripped on it, as well, tearing into Barry Sears for referring to food as a
potential drug (which it obviously is) and suggesting the guvment do a
better job on its dietary guidelines.  Limbaugh was right to say the
government shouldn't tell us what to eat.  But considering Limbaugh lost
major weight by cutting his own carb intake, you'd think he'd agree with
Sears at least on the destructive effects of Fruit Loops and Pop Tarts, not
to mention America's pathetic excuse for a food pyramid.  Then again, he
does have half his brain tied behind his back.  ;p

Dori Zook
Denver, CO

(who listens to Limbaugh almost every day, believe it or not)