From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 15:58:10 MST
'Doc' wrote:

>But the weight I lost was 17 pounds of muscle and 3 pounds of fat.  I
>replaced the lost muscle with fat when chasing a diagnosis for celiac
>disease.  With the Kalman's syndrome, I am going through hell trying to
>gain back the muscle.
>
>Again the disclaimer - me not MD!
>
>I would not recommend the Zone as a diet.  The calories are restricted to
>the point where you can impact your metabolism, and most likely cause
>muscle loss in the process.

Wow!  Thanks for that info.  Once again, mainsream diet 'professionals' were
full of, well, sh*t.  I, too, have difficulty with Sears' fat info.  But I
do think someone without an insulin problem could tolerate a few more carb
grams than protein grams provided they were good carbs, of course.  I had no
idea the calorie level was that low, however!  Maybe I'm wrong, but I
thought the protein formula was the same as the one found in Protein Power.
I will say that it's easier for me to maintain ketosis and lose weight if I
keep my protein intake, thus, overall caloric intake, lower than when I
started out.  I'd like to hear anyone's opinion on how much protein is
enough.  Cordain's book will deal with what happens when you eat too much
protein, which can be done.

Dori Zook
Denver, CO