From:
Thomas Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 11:39:58 +0900
 > Then it doesn't make sense that pea hulls would show in coprolites.
 > Paleopeas poisonous?
 > Paleoman suicidal?

Not really, the foods chosen for domestication were those that were
less troublesome to begin with. Wild peas are a lot less poisonous than
most other legumes. Young pods are edible, and the cavemen didn't have
any theories about alien proteins to worry about, they just ate
whatever didn't immediately make them sick. They ate whatever tasted
good. Some of that would be things we now know have negative long term
consequences if eaten daily. The difference is that young peas, and
many other problematic foods, would only have been available for a few
weeks at most, probably less even, so there was no time for any long
term negatives to appear.

With the neolithic revolution, occasional foods became year round
staples, and very mild "toxins" became important. Many things that are
toxic in large doses, or if taken daily, are useful or vital in smaller
amounts. For myself, I used to take lots of supplements, vitamin and
mineral, but I have mostly stopped, because they seem to make my joints
ache. Especially vitamin C and A. I still take a childrens dose
vitamin, and fish oil that does not contain vitamin A.

Peas are not toxic if eaten occasionally, in a diet that is not
overloaded with legumes. Many of the people on this list have serious
problems, perhaps due to long term overload of mildly toxic foods,
grains and legumes, for example, or carbohydrates. These people might
need to be especially careful to avoid the foods that got them into
trouble in the first place. A young, healthy person can get away with
eating these foods if they do not overdo it, just as cavemen ate all
kinds of foods, some we paleo eaters consider verboten. Moderation...