From:
Thomas Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 08:26:27 +0900
On Monday, February 3, 2003, at 02:49  AM, Frances Ross wrote:
 > Thanks for the feedback. The reason I asked was because garden peas
 > can be
 > eaten raw (and are very good). Although they come in a pod I don't
 > think they
 > are a true legume. From what I understand all legumes have to be
 > cooked to
 > make them edible. Garden peas do not.

Peas are certainly legumes. Levels of toxins vary from species to
species. Peas have been bred for very low levels of toxins for
thousands of years. I sometimes eat baby peas and green beans in the
garden, but only small amounts. "Grazing" like this is paleo, but I
don't know what that means in terms of total toxins in the diet.