From:
Lynda Bryson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 17:42:55 -0800
I've lived in the South for 25 years, and I'm not
surprised at the higher incidence of stroke in this
part of the country.

Fried and deep-fried foods abound -- hush puppies,
fried chicken, country fried steak and gravy, country
ham and red-eye gravy. Biscuits, grits, and cornbread
with plenty of butter.  Even the vegetables can't
escape the frier -- fried okra, squash, and of course,
fried green tomatoes.  Perhaps more paleo, wilted
lettuce (hot bacon grease poured over lettuce), turnip
greens cooked with bacon fat.  One of the most popular
seafood restaurants in town features a menu with
virtually every entre deep fried!

Barbeque is popular, and certain areas of the state
have their own recipes for the best barbecue, often
served with hush puppies (deep fried cornmeal).
Always popular, mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet
potatoe casseroles.

Southerners love their pound cake and it seems like
every family has their own recipe, but the basic
ingredients include 6 eggs and 2 sticks of butter.
Pecan pie, fruit cobblers served with whole cream or
ice cream (not that fake cream topping or frozen
yogurt!).  Oh, and that Southern classic snack, Moon
Pies and Cokes with chopped peanuts poured into the
bottle!

It's no wonder there's a higher incidence of stroke
below the Mason Dixon line!

Lynda Bryson (transplanted Yankee)