Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 16:44:52 -0400
Kirt said,

>The paleolithic diet is sound for reasons of evolutionary biology and it is
>certainly interesting and enlightening to immerse onself in some of the
>habits and trappings of paleo life. That is however as far as it goes, at
>least for me. I think anyone who would actually prefer a real paleolithic
>lifestyle over this one needs to have his head examined.  :)

I'm not trying to go back to the stone age.  I like my gas stove,
refrigerator, freezer, computer, tape player, futon, etc. I just want to
improve my own health and life and help improve the quality of life on earth
now....not just for me but for the next generations.  There is so much
needless suffering and ignorance about human needs, including nutritional
needs, that is causing all hell to break loose in our culture.  We can learn
from the past without aspiring to go back wards.  We can enjoy the best of
both worlds.

Btw:  Our human population would not be so large and our animal population
would not be so small were it not for overpopulation due to getting out of
harmony with nature..... in the way we eat, the way children are birthed,
spaced, fed, raised, the way we treat the land, nature, and each other.

>Gordon brings up a point which will not be appreciated here but is
>important nonetheless: the overwhelming tendency to romanticize
>hunter-gatherer life (and by extension, esp for instinctos, wild animal
>life). Whether this tendancy is simply a fad romance for relatively
>unfulfilled people (no doubt because they are stuck in modern times instead
>of Neanderthal, eat-them-CroMagnonbrains-get osteoperosous, times ;)) or
>because there is some sort of spinal-cord-new-age calling to
>get-back-to-basics, I can't say, but perhaps it is as simple as some folks
>needing to feel _special_. Who knows?

Although Dr. Price's work was not about HGs from stone age times (he studied
primitive groups in the 1930s), his work sheds so much light on our current
situation wrt health on many levels.  I don't romanticize cave man times,
but I certainly have learned a lot from the works of those who studied more
primitive people over the past 100 or so years and can see the undeniable
consequences of falling out of harmony with nature, over populating,
weakening the soil, and the people who depend on it for life.

I, for one, am not trying to feel special, and doubt most folks on this list
are..... I am endeavoring to feed myself, my husband, my friends the most
nourishing food possible and to teach as many people as I can to do the
same.

Rachel