From:
Ben Balzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 15:32:05 +1000
Susan,
I was having the same problem, but have largely relieved it by peeling my
fruit before I eat it.
I mainly eat apples, oranges, bananas, kiwifruit, but love all fruits.
So, the change was peeling the apples.

I reasoned that one of the main advantages of paleodiet is that it avoids
toxins which are antinutrients that nature put there to
act as:
1. Natural pesticides to discourage worms, insects etc
2. Natural preservatives- the most potent enzyme inhibitors known. So potent
that wheat seeds in the
tombs of the pharaohs were still viable thousands of years later,

I presumed that nature would fill up fruit skins with pesticides, and would
expect apple skin to be full of them. Therefore, apples peeled, problem
solved.

This was just an educated guess that worked for me. Anyone out there know
any real facts on the levels of antinutrients in apple skin?

BTW, I relived my constipation with prunes (apparently amongst the richest
sources of antioxidants known), and dried apples- please try these before
you resort to any seed based mixtures.

Ben