From:
Andrea Hughett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 16:30:03 -0700
--- Michael Weis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
The
> only significant
> difference between the two that I could detect is
> that Neanderthin doesn't
> prohibit salt and
> Cordain does. Any thoughts on that?

I suspect this is a YMMV thing.  Experiment with salt
restriction and free use and see what works for you.

Actually, I find the bigger difference is that Audette
finds it hard to get 5 servings a day of produce and
Cordain pushes a huge amount of fruit and veggies.
Still not sure where I stand on that one - veggies are
great but I don't want to get too much carb, even good
healthy carb.  After I have lost enough weight,
perhaps  I should be more liberal with the produce and
especially the fruit.

And then there is the issue of "cheating".  Cordain
allows the occasional "free meal" in order to stick
with the plan the rest of the time.  Audette cautions
that even the tiniest cheat can lead to cravings and
binges on forbidden food.  Sometimes I agree with one,
sometimes the other - some of my friends say the
difference between a controlled indulgence and a
three-day bender is the time of month...don't know if
that's it or not.
> would
> appreciate any advice or suggestions from others on
> the list to get started on
> the Paleo Diet
> without heavy reliance on preparing food all the
> time, if that's possible.

I tend to cook up a lot of meat all at once - just
shove two or three roasts, a package of pork chops,
and several kinds of ground meat in the oven and cook
until done.  Then I wash and chop up a bunch of salad
greens and other low-carb veges.  It all goes in the
fridge in plastic containers, so I can pull out meat
and veges to throw in plastic bags for lunch or eat on
the spot, either reheated or cold.  I still cook
recipes when I feel like it, but this takes the bother
out of most meals.

> Is liver really a safe and
> healthy food to eat,
> whether it be from beef or
> chicken?

Well, from  everything we can find out,
hunter-gatherers seem to have eaten the whole animal,
organs and all.  So liver-eating is certainly in the
human blueprint...

 Does it make a difference if the animal is
> grass-fed/foraging vs.
> feedlot produced?

Probably.

 I also am a big baker, so this caveman thing
> could be very difficult
> for me in that regard.

You really do lose your taste for it eventually.  I
still have problems with wanting sweets, but most
baked goods and other grain foods just don't do
anything for me anymore.

Andrea