From:
Jana Eagle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 11:01:43 -0600
Jo Webb <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> the main source of vitamin D is sunlight,
> and it seems likely that paleolithic people spent a lot of time in the sun.
> But these days we have a hole in the ozone layer and it seems that under
> these new circumstances the sun does harm as well as good. If we believe
> the warnings and wear sunscreens, it may be necessary to take extra vitamin
> D as a supplement to get back to the same level as the paleolithic
> people.

Anyone notice that their skin does not burn as much after following a
paleo diet?  I sure have.

I am careful to stay in the shade during
the hottest part of the day, but I don't feel as sensitive to the sun
as I used to.  It reminds me of when I was a kid and I would be out
playing all day and get a really dark tan, but never burn.
I feel very wary of sunscreen manufacturers promoting their products
and the idea of putting such
chemicals on my skin.  I think it is promoted as being "safe" and
"protection", which people eat up (so to speak) and slather it on
their kids...
I have read that sesame oil has a natural SPF though very low, about
5.  I use that on my skin and on my daughter's skin when we are out in
the sun.

-Jana