From:
Brad Cooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 11:39:09 -0500
On Wed, 4 Jul 2001 16:54:30 -0700, Thomas Seay <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>You see, this is the problem...everything has to fall
>under the umbrella of health.  For a lot of people in
>the "health movement" that means activities that have
>been sanctioned by one of the High Lamas of the New
>Age, like Deepak Chopra.  Getting in touch with
>oneself basically can be reduced to parroting the
>jingles found in the last new age book one has read.
>And like any jingle, next week will bring a new book
>with inflated claims and new jingles...a new self.
>Not only should the slogan go, "You are what you eat",
>but it should also be "you are what you read last".
>FOR GOD's SAKE, DO ANY OF THE ADEPTS DO ANYTHING THAT
>IS REALLY FUN ANYMORE...without constantly whining and
>worrying about the health effects?

Thomas,

I have been out of town having fun, so I haven't been following this
thread, but wanted to reply anyway.  I think that the reason that people
are searching for something that improves health, well-being, etc. is that
our society does not offer anything that, even remotely, satisfies basic
human needs/expectations.  Everyone is looking for something better than
participating in the rat race chasing the American Dream.  That is why
people become obsessive about the paleodiet, vegetarianism, Deeprak Chopra,
Scientology, or whatever.  It is a problem of our society, not
individuals.  The world would not be a happier place if everyone just
decided to go to Disneyland, or to eat ice cream, or watch cartoons,
because the principles of our culture would not change.

I think you are also talking about how people want to convert their family,
friends, neighbors, etc. to their new way of life, whether it is diet,
exercise, aromatherapy, or Buddhism.  Again, this is a product of our
culture.  "Everyone must live like I do, so that my lifestyle is
justified!"  Our culture is all about promoting ideas, converting people,
paying $50 for a shirt to advertise for that company.

There have recently been threads on "Coming Home to the Pleistocene" and a
Paleo Tribe (btw, sign me up Judy), which point to what may truly make
people happy...and maybe less obsessive.  Humans have happily lived on this
planet for millions of years without health gurus, politicians, or leaders
telling them what to do.  Tribes lived without wars or missionaries to
convert other tribes.  They went about their business of living happily
without feeling that there is "something missing" or that they have
discovered the one right way to live and should convert everyone else.

What our culture is missing is community and tribe.  People are becoming
increasingly isolated from their family, friends, and neighbors.  Few seek
support from or offer support to others.  Relationships are becoming more
scarce and increasingly long distance.  For some, however, an artificial
support network can be created by joining a "movement" or getting others to
join in their latest health quest.

My 2 cents,

Brad