From:
mark wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 23:33:08 -0800
From: Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2002 6:16 AM
Subject: Re: Jim discussing fat

> How is possible to avoid glycogen depletion on a low-carb paleo diet -- by
> low-carb I mean minimal fruits to maximize fat loss?

I don't think you can.  I've been dealing with glycogen depletion and
exercise for the last year and have finally given in and started eating
carbs before exercising.  I play 2 man beach volleyball for about 5 to 6
hours a week.  While low carbing I would completely hit the wall after the
second game or so.  I tried everything to try and keep my energy levels up.
I've pigged out on protein, ate low carb bars, drank medium chain
triglycerides to name a few.  Nothing worked.
About a month ago I started carbing up the night before I played.  I saw an
immediate and dramatic improvement in energy levels.  I wouldn't think about
playing now without building up my glycogen levels.  My carb of choice is
rice which I know is not paleo but at least I'm not allergic to it and have
noticed no Ill effects.  Fruit in my experience has been totally useless in
building up glycogen levels.
Keep in mind that beach volleyball is anaerobic with lots of stopping and
starting and I play 2 to 3 hours per stretch. If you're exercising at a
different level or pace this info may not apply.

Mark