From:
Madeline Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 08:15:24 EDT
In a message dated 5/30/02 10:10:49 AM,  Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
writes:

<< On Wed, 29 May 2002, Jim Swayze wrote:

> Todd > ...we can point to populations with very low rates of heart disease
> whose intake of foreign proteins is nevertheless high (e.g., Masai).
>
> I don't think the Masai are a good example.  The Masai traditional diet
> contains only one non-paleo component: milk.   And I suspect that the milk
> from natural, free range, grass eating (rather than the milk from modern
> grain fed, hormone injected) cattle, while not paleo, might be a lesser
> offending non-paleo food.

Around here, milk is considered to be a major source of foreign
proteins.  The Masai consume large amounts of it.  If you have
some reason to think that the milk proteins from the Masai cattle
are less foreign, then please share it.  That milk might be a
lesser offending food, but I see no reason to think it is a
lesser source of foreign proteins than supermarket milk.

Somewhere I read (sorry, no source) that the homogenization process breaks up
the fat and protein molecules into such tiny particles that this then allows
these "foreign proteins" to more readily seep through the gut wall into the
blood stream where they do not belong. Therefore, the natural milk that the
Masai consume may well be less damaging for a different reason.

I am not condoning the consumption of milk, natural or not, just adding
another bit of information.

Maddy Mason
Hudson Valley, NY
What you don't eat is more critical to your health than what you do eat.