From:
Madeline Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 11:25:01 EDT
In a message dated 7/15/02 7:44:15 AM, Phosphor <[log in to unmask]
writes:

<< speaking of vegetables, why eat them? paleo man ate
no modern vegetables, few of which are recognizably similar to their remote
ancestors.  they contain little of use compared with herbs.

Andrew,

Where do leafy greens and salad greens fit into this picture? I refer to such
things as various lettuces, chicory, escarole, parsley, kale, Bok Choy,
spinach, Swiss chard, etc. I eat these foods in abundance. I know parsley and
dill are considered herbs, yet I eat these by the handful, not as a garnish.

And when you say "modern vegetables", what vegetables are you referring to?
Things like broccoli, carrots, onions, asparagus, eggplant, celery, peppers,
cucumbers, parsnips? I know that botanically tomatoes are a fruit, and peas
and green beans are legumes, even though they can be eaten in their raw and
unprocessed state.

All the Brassica vegetables have such a long-touted array of health
sustaining nutrients, and include both greens and more, should I say, "solid"
vegetables such as kale, cauliflower, mustard greens, cabbage, Bok Choy,
broccoli, etc.

I guess I'm trying to figure out what's an herb and what's a vegetable,
beyond the obvious dill and carrot. Perhaps a shift in my vegetable emphasis
would be helpful. Your elaboration and clarification would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Maddy Mason
Hudson Valley, NY