From:
"Aaron D. Wieland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 1998 00:41:22 -0400
Robert A. McGlohon, Jr. wrote:

>        Would alkaline blood lead to increased *alkalinity* (is that a
word?)
>in other systems?  For example, when I was fat(er) and full of grain and
>carbs, I appeared to have an acidic sweat:  my metal eyeglasses would
>corrode in a matter of weeks and I had to buy glasses made of special
>alloys; and I was very hard on my clothes.  Others on this list have
>posted that they aren't as attractive to mosquitos on a paleo diet, and
>I have noticed the same thing.

I'm not aware of any correlation between blood plasma pH and the pH of
perspiration, but, given my weak knowledge of human biochemistry, I'm afraid
that isn't saying much.  I have read that blood plasma pH is not reliably
correlated with either salivary pH or urinary pH.  Naturopaths and others
have a tendency of conflating stomach acid pH and blood plasma pH, even
though they are completely different; this is why the idea that meat can
have an alkalinizing effect seems strange to practitioners of alternative
medicine.  Confusing, no?  An unbalanced blood pH disrupts many processes,
including protein synthesis; protein synthesis is necessary to create
enzymes and hormones, and to regenerate cells (and the intestinal lining
probably requires more regeneration than any other part of the body), so any
number of nasty side-effects could result.

I do know, however, that "alkalinity" is a valid word. ;-)  I apologize for
not being more helpful.

Cheers,
-- Aaron