From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 1998 00:29:25 -0400
...before the summer is officially over here in the U.S.

Todd Moody

Nahrung 1989;33(9):867-887

Phylogenesis and nutrition.

Haenel H

Central Institute of Nutrition in Potsdam-Rehbrucke, Academy of
Sciences of the GDR.

The evolution of man is connected with a life-style of hunting
and gathering, and with the development and use of tools. The
success of tools promoted the evolution of brain, thinking and
skills. The food sources--animal and plant--remained the same
during the whole of evolution. But the proportions of foods,
preferences, preparations and the attainability changed.
Evolution was a process continuously based on omnivorous
nutrition. Compared to modern nutrition, paleolithic nutrition is
richer in animal protein, vitamins, calcium, potassium and fibre,
and poorer in fat and sodium. Saccharose, lactose and alcohol
play no roles. The quality of the fat is marked by a high
proportion of polyunsaturated fatty acids. This shift from a
paleolithic diet to a modern diet caused nutritional risks,
partly responsible for the dramatic increase in modern chronic
diseases of heart, circulation and so on. Man's metabolism works
in a stable genetic frame, derived during phylogenesis. We have
to adapt our nutritional behaviour to its tolerances or we may
succumb to disease and premature death. While our paleolithic
metabolism is overdone with modern nutrition, our psychological
heritages press in the direction of overdoing.

UI: 90190808