From:
pook la roux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 13:51:07 -0700
> 1)  Why did you choose the paleo plan?

I originally started with Atkins. I'm not a diet-y
kind of person, so this was the first diet I'd ever
done. I grew up vegetarian (lacto-ovo) and pretty much
ate vegetarian most of my twenties.  I could see right
away that the increase in protein in my diet was doing
me good, but coming from a very natural way of eating
i was turned off by the Atkins use of processed foods
and artificial sweetners.  Paleo was the perfect
solution for me because of the emphasis on natural
whole foods.

> 2)  How long have you been on a paleo diet?

About a year.

> 3)  Which plan do you most closely follow

 Neanderthin

> 4)  What have been your results - health
> improvements, weight loss, etc.

I've lost 40 lbs, my husband has dropped 4 pants
sizes. I have had less trouble with asthma and
arthritis, and noticed a decrease in headaches, colds
and sore throats. Overall, I've had a tremendous
increase in energy -- but this was apparent the moment
I started eating a decent amount of protein.

> 5)  Did you have any addictions when you started
> that were hard to kick; if
> so, how did you do it  (cold turkey or slow
> withdrawal)???

I've never been a smoker or a drinker, and I don't eat
a lot of sweets. So I have never really had to detox
like that.

> 6)  Are there any "paleo foods" which you exclude
> from the diet because they
> don't work for you?

Chicken. It's not that chicken doesn't work for me --
I just don't like it.

> 7)  Are there any "non-paleo foods" which you seem
> to be able to handle in
> small quantities while still maintaining your health
> improvements, etc.?

Well, we're moderate paleo. We use some dairy,
including cheese, cream and milk. I drink coffee.  I
drink tea.

> 8)  What is a typical paleo day for you?  (I'm
> particularly interested in
> what you all have for breakfast as I don't like
> eggs)

Oh, can't help you there. Breakfast is Eggs IMHO.

I drink coffee and eat eggs for breakfast. Since I
work at home now, I don't have to gear up for lunch. I
eat a can of sardines, or tuna. I make jerky, so I
might eat that -- or an omelet. I eat when I am
hungry, and I eat as much as I need to to stop feeling
hungry. Some days that is more, some days I forget to
eat until dinner. I know that's bad, but i get caught
up in working and don't realize that I've become
hungry!  My husband is less strict than I am, he
usually has a burger for lunch -- no fries, diet pop.
We have some kind of meat or fish for dinner with a
green vegetable. When it's seasonable, we might have a
yam as a side.  It's really a very unimaginative menu.
 That's what I get out of all the books and the list
-- ideas for cooking that is more imaginative than
what i would do on my own.  Never having needed to
cook meat, if left to my own devices, I would just cut
it into strips and eat it raw!

> 9)  Do you take any vitamins, supplements?

Yes. I take a chewable adult vitamin that is pretty
broad in it's offerings. It tastes very green, but is
the best I can do. (I can't swallow pills)

> 10)  What about exercise?

I walk. When we can get out, I walk in the parks. But
I walk around the neighborhood where we live.
Sometimes I walk to shopping.  I'm getting down to a
weight where I can bicycle again, so I'll be doing
that soon.  I also fish. I don't know if that counts
as exercise. I usually feel well exercised when I get
home from that!