NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kris Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 07:00:09 EDT
<< However, I had major =
 abdominal surgery 1.5 years ago. I had about 1 foot of large intestine =
 removed (sigmoid colon to be specific) because of diverticulitis. I'm =
 not really sure what that last foot dig but I can't handle fruit juices =
 anymore (or some soft drinks with folic acid), without getting some =
 LI-like symptoms. To get to the point, have you observed your daughter's =
 reaction to fruit juices? It took me quite a while before I zeroed in on =
 the problem. I just assumed that somehow dairy was still part of my diet =
 and blamed it for my problems. >>

Hi Don, and thanks for your response.  I have a good friend who has Irritable
Bowel Syndrome and I know she would say "Oh, that sounds so familiar..." if
she read what you wrote about becoming sensitive to juices after colon
surgery.  Any "insult" to the gut, such as a virus or surgery, can throw
things out of whack, as in my daughter's case or your case, and it can be
temporary or forever.  It is complicated, isn't it?  Anyway, I have checked
my daughter for  other food sensitivities and I am convinced that her few
remaining symptoms are not related to food in any way but are more of a
"functional" problem (which really means "doesn't show up on any test," and
are probably related to her nervous system getting its signals from the gut
mixed up).   I continue to avoid potentially troublesome foods such as
artificial sweeteners and MSG though, in addition to dairy.

Kris Moore