NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nancy Newlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 1997 12:44:59 -0700
I sent an inquiry to the Food Allergy Network regarding whether
or not egg was used in some way in winemaking.  (My list of egg-
containing foods to eliminate from my diet included wine.)  FAN
replied that they were not aware of the connection.

So, I sent an email to Sue Ebeler, a professor in the department
of viticulture and enology (winemaking) at the University of
California, Davis.  She answered:

"Yes eggs (the whites) are used in winemaking as a "fining"
agent.  They are not used in all wines.  It's very dependent on
the winery, the winemaker, etc.  Other protein agents that may
also be used are casein, gelatin, isinglass (a protein from fish
bones) and some non-protein compounds such as bentonite,
and polysaccaride gums may also be used.  The main purpose is
mostly to remove compounds called phenolics which give wine
astringent and bitter taste properties.  The phenolics also affect
wine color, clarity and antioxidant properties (the antioxidant
properties may be what are responsible for the protective effects
with cardiovascular disease).

Most of the proteins (or other fining agents) are allowed to
precipitate out of solution and/or are filtered to remove them.
The actual amount of residual protein that is left should be quite
small, but I do not know if it is enough to cause an allergic
reaction."

Sue Ebeler
Viticulture & Enology, UCDavis
916-752-0696

She also forwarded my question to a colleague, and when I hear
from him I'll post an update.

Nancy