NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nancy Newlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 09:19:00 -0700
Last December a food allergy test revealed that I am
highly intolerant of dairy and eggs, followed by corn gluten,
other glutens, soy, and a few other vegetables.  I immediately
eliminated those foods and went on a rotation diet.  My health
is better now than it has been in years.  Then yesterday
my doctor told me that, based on his experience and the
high reaction I had (3000 out of a possible 3000), it is
unlikely that I will ever be able to eat dairy or eggs
again in my life (without being incapacitated by a food
reaction for several days, that is).  At 52, it is hard to
think of not EVER having some of my favorite comfort
foods--a grilled cheese sandwich, yogurt, cream of tomato
soup--without having to "pay for it" for several days.  Of
course, having subscribed to this and the gluten-free lists
since December, and having read a lot, I know that there
are substitutes, but I also know that there is currently no
"imitation" cheese that tastes or melts quite like a nice
slice of Cheddar.

My question: how have some of you dealt with friends
and family who, though they may not say it, think you're
some kind of a "freak" and that your diet needs are just
a total inconvenience for them??  I'm planning a two-week
trip to Utah this summer, and, being on a rotation diet as
well has having food limitations makes it daunting to
think about.  Just going away on a camping trip or to
visit friends for a weekend is a major food planning and
cooking effort. My boyfriend keeps saying, just to
support me I guess, "This is just temporary.  You'll
be able to eat these things again."  Underneath those
comforting words is another message: "All these food
needs of yours really restrict our ability to just GO and
be flexible about our meals.  I can hardly wait until
it's over."

Just looking for some support and ideas for how to cope
on an emotional level.  Maybe I need to grieve my loss
in some way??

Thanks in advance,
Nancy