NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deborah Garner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 1997 12:08:22 -0600
I just read this on America Online and thought you would all be
interested:

c The Associated Press

NEW YORK - Oy-vey-e-o!

For the first time, Jews who keep kosher can twist, lick and dunk the
ever-popular Oreo cookie, the Orthodox Union said Wednesday.

The group, which represents Orthodox Jewish congregations around the
country, said Oreos, Chips Ahoy chocolate chip cookies and other snack
products from Nabisco now carry its ''OU'' kosher seal of approval.

''With Nabisco under the OU certification, kosher consumers everywhere
can rest assured that they need not sacrifice kasruth standards in order
to get great taste,'' the group's senior rabbinic coordinator, Rabbi
Eliyahu Safran, said in a statement.

The Oreo, with chocolate wafers sandwiched around a creme filling,
celebrated its 85th birthday this year.

The OU kosher symbol can be found on over 200,000 products in 56
countries, according to the Orthodox Union.

AP-NY-12-24-97 1830EST

Copyright 1997 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP
news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise
distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

Also, I found some dairy-free chocolate chips while doing some after
Christmas shopping.  The rest of you might be able to find them too.
Best of all they were only 97 cents per 12 ounce bag!  We bought 12 bags
to store in the freezer.

Sam's American Choice  Real Semi-Sweet  Chocolate Chips
12 oz. bag    Kosher parve  (with the K in a circle and parve beside it)

Ingredients:  Chocolate liquor, sugar, soya lecithin (added as an
emulsifier), vanillin.

Marketed by Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
Bentonville, AR

My daughter is highly allergic and has had no reaction to these chips.
Everyone will enjoy some cookies tonight :)

Deborah Garner