NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 1997 20:53:24 -0700
On Mon, 18 Aug 1997 15:50:48 -0400 Kimberly Sherwood <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>Here is a quote from "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding":  "Protection
against
>allergy is one of the many advantages a baby receives from his mother's
milk.
> Your baby will not be allergic to your milk; you can count on this with
>certainty.  It is a law of nature that infants never become sensitized
>their natural food.

A protein is a protein is a protein.  An "allergy" reaction is the body's
immune response to a normally benign protein it sees as an invader.  It's
an immune system screw up.  It's not supposed to happen.  Granted, before
the occurrence of infant formula, survival rates would have been slim and
natural selection would have taken care of any widespread incidence in
the populous.  But take Galactosemia for example (you even stated this
one in a previous post).  This is the infant's inability to process his
mother's milk by lacking an enzyme thus causing an incompatibility with
his natural food.  Why couldn't it see a foreign substance like milk (of
any kind) as an invader and reject it?  While I believe this is probably
incredibly rare, I do believe it is possible and so does my daughter's
pediatrician.

Sorry, I just couldn't let this one go,
Kathy