NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 1997 11:36:37 -0700
I'm looking for recommendations on books dealing with food allergies
especially in infants and children.  I'm very discouraged at the moment
trying to deal with daughter's milk allergy.  She's doing much better
than a few months ago, but I'm just not convinced that I'm doing enough.
We were just at her doc's yesterday for an unrelated problem and I did
discuss this whole eating thing.  The doc seems to think she's doing just
great - eczema looks pretty well under control (although it was more
broken out than I usually have it), she's gaining well (over 2#'s in a
month), she's active, alert, and just cute as a button :-)  The doctor
figures that there is still some hidden dairy causing the eczema
outbreaks and the occasional spitting up, but isn't too concerned over
it.  She said roughly half of kids outgrow food allergies and there is no
real way to predict which ones will or won't.  Only time will tell and
that I seem to be doing all the right things.

Well, after being vomited on this morning once again, I'm about at my
whit's end.  It almost seems that the reactions are worse now than when I
wasn't trying to eliminate all dairy from my diet.  I'm debating on
weaning her and going with soy formula for now even though other
information I was given said that soy formula is no better for protecting
against food allergies in general.  How every stray milk protein I eat
seems to immediately find it's way into my breast milk is beyond me!  I
haven't been able to correlate any other culprits except chocolate which
I've been abstaining from :-(  I know weaning her will only postpone my
having to deal with keeping a dairy free diet in the house till she
starts eating table foods, but maybe that's the time I need to find out
more information on how to deal with this.  I'm half afraid to eat
anything at this point.

So, read any good books or references on the subject(s) lately?
Thanks,
Kathy