NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Wentz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 1997 22:25:45 -0600
Cherie Moore wrote:

> I am doing a survey for my nutrition class-I'd like to know how many
> allergic kids out there were exclusively breastfed for at least the first 6
> months and continued breastfeeding to at least a year without any formula
> given? Thanks-Cherie

Do I count?  My 5 1/2 month old son (at the time) grabbed a hamburger
out of my hand and took a bite.  I guess he was ready for solids!  ;-D
I wasn't surprised as he was 20 pounds at the time.  He was exclusively
breastfed up to then.  Weaned at 2 years.  He is allergic to dairy only,
and it is a relatively minor allergy (excema and nosebleeds are his
major symptoms).

My second son was exclusively breastfed till 6 1/2 months and is still
nursing occasionally.  He would probably be considered intolerant rather
than allergic.

Neither son ever had any formula (and I worked full time with both so I
consider this to be one of my greatest acheivements).

Both of my sons seem to only be reacting to milk at this point - which
for us is a minor miracle as I, and their father, have a tremendous
number of allergies.  My family history of allergies is 5 generations
deep with bottle fed excema sufferers (and worse).  I hope my children
will find fewer allergies and my grandchildren will find none.

--
Kathy Wentz              I've never had a humble opinion in my life.
[log in to unmask]      If you're going to have one, why bother to