NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Wentz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 23:05:04 -0500
Carmen E. Simon wrote:

> My son is allergic to milk/egg white protein.  He started showing a
> reaction to milk within 12 hours of birth.  He has two younger sisters,
> both were on soy formula and not exposed to milk til after 1 year of
> age.  The oldest shows no signs of food allergies.  The youngest turned
> 1 on Jan 1, and we started her on whole milk.  She kept it down, but
> after two weeks she started getting dry skin/eczema on her lower legs,
> and it started working its way up her body.  We had skin tests done,
> but they showed no allergies.  We took her off the milk and after two
> weeks her skin cleared up.  The next time we tried milk, she kept it
> down but brought it back up after half an hour. With my son the reaction
> to milk is immediate, I'm not familiar with a delayed reaction. Does
> this sound like an allergy developing? Has anybody experienced this?

Both eczema and spitting up are very common allergic reactions to milk and
milk products.  If I were you, I would just avoid them completely.
Allergy tests are not 100% accurate, and probably never will be.

The kids need to learn how to listen to their own bodies from an early
age.  Help them find words (when they are ready) to describe their bodies
reactions to foods.  They will need this awareness when learning what else
they may become allergic to, when something has hidden dairy in it they
may realize it much more quickly if they know what to look for within
themselves, and it will help when talking to the medical profession.

Good luck!
--
Kathy Wentz                        unschooler, n. one who never swims
[log in to unmask]                   with the crowd