NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Weavre Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 2009 22:07:39 -0400
Hello again,

I'll preface by saying that allergies and the degree of sensitivity to
allergens are individual, so one person's experience may differ from
another's.

That said, though ... you cannot tell by looking what's been in any
restaurant's frying oil. Frying oil is routinely filtered and recirculated
from one vat to another. There may be a station that's fries-only, but that
oil may have been in a completely different station yesterday.

Also, I've dithered about saying anything bad about any particular
restaurant, and had avoided doing so in my previous posts on this topic ...
but I personally won't eat at McDonald's because of the risk. A few years
ago I was one of the people who filed complaints with local McDonald's
managers because of twice reacting after eating food that I'd been assured
was free of any dairy contamination. It turned out that McDonald's had been
"dusting" its fries with dairy before shipping them to local restaurants,
and this wasn't listed on the ingredients label. I declined to participate
in any lawsuit (mostly because I didn't think my local restaurant managers
were culpable, and I live in a close-knit area), so I didn't really follow
it closely after that. I do know that there was also a big problem in India
after McDonald's failed to disclose beef ingredients in its fries. Their
track record just doesn't inspire confidence, in me.

Of course, I also have a pretty severe allergy. It's possible that someone
less sensitive could eat food fried in oil that has also fried dairy and not
have a problem ... I just felt I needed to speak up and say something, in
case it might help.

PS: About the pizza ... homemade, with lots of veggies (and meat since I eat
meat), is awesome! Go for it! Who needs cheese anyway? ;)

Weavre Cooper