NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rachele Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 1998 11:12:48 -0600
>"Oil & vinegar" is not equal to "Italian dressing." Some people don't get
>that the difference can be profound. But it's not their fault if they
>weren't told "I'm allergic to milk, so no dressing with milk in it."
>
>Mark Feblowitz

I agree that if you tell restaurants that you have a milk allergy they are
often very accomodating.  At nicer restaurants they will sometimes go out
of their way.  We went to a Sunday brunch buffet one time where our six
year old (milk allergic) looked at all of the breads and rolls and I told
him I didn't know what they all had in them so he couldn't have any.  He
was so upset I asked the waitress (who could already see he was upset) if
there was anything there without dairy.

She actually went in the back and checked it out.  Unfortunately they all
did, but she did come up with some nice Italian bread (not on the buffet)
for him and he was happy, (especially using those fun little jam containers
to spread on it).

Rachele Shaw