NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rachele Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 1997 11:20:02 -0600
><<Rachel, Tropical Source is able to label their products as "dairy free"
>because the US laws state that anything under 3% dairy can be labeled as
>dairy free.  Unfortunately, 3% is a lot when you are allergic.  Check
>the label very carefully and you will probably find casein listed and
>then a disclaimer.  At least that is what their other products have.  I
>don't trust that company because of their false claim - legal as it is.>>
>
>Hey, let's change that law!
>
>------------------------------

Seriously, does anyone know where that law comes form that companies can
label something under 3% dairy as dairy-free?  I, for one, would love to
contact that agengy and explain the dangers of that law to people who are
severely allergic to dairy.  Although my son is not anaphylactic to dairy
we did learn the hard way when he was 2 that "dairy-free" does not mean
conpletely free of dairy.  The product had sodium caseinate in it and his
face blew up with hives with one small taste of it.  Doctors do not forwarn
parents to beware of products like this and I assumed dairy-free meant
that.  I am always amazed at how much parents of allergic children are on
their own to learn and take care of their needs.

I would definitely like to pursue this area to change the law.  Anyone who
has any info on where this law originates please let me know.  Why should
we think we can't chnage laws?  Laws do get changed when good reason is
shown.  This is for GOOD REASON.

Rachele Shaw