NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nancy Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 2003 22:02:48 -0500
Hi!!  I seem to have had a reaction today at dinner....it was so scary but I guess I am OK...my throat felt like it was swollen closed, my tongue was burning, then tingling, then numb, my lips were tingling.  I was so scared.  I am not sure what it was.  I have been avoiding so much stuff lately and today I just wanted to take a bite...I was having steamed chicken and white rice (both super safe) but one of our friends had dumplings (we ordered from Chinese place) and I took ONE bite with the TIP only of a steamed dumpling (which I assume is pork, wheat for the wrap part, and maybe eggs??)  dipped in soy sauce...within seconds I felt a pain like the worst sore throat I have ever felt and I started to feel like I was being strangled...and my tongue was burning, I took some water and like a idiot, took another bite of food....all the symptoms got worse....I drank more water ( ALOT--like 2 8oz glasses straight down)...it didn't help...I took 5 teaspoons of Children's Beneadryl--its all I had in the house....and then I called an allergy savvy pal...and within about 15 more minutes I did feel like I could at least swallow again...but I still feel kinda crappy (sore throat, very tried from Beneradryl, achy.)  I know I probably should have called 911 but I never ever in my life have any reaction to a food (except honey which if I eat too much, make me nauseous).  What do you think?  I was so cared--Tyler never, to my knowledge, had a reaction like this and had it not been for my experience with the group and reading other people stories I really would have believed I was DYING...at least I had an idea of what was happening and how to save myself if it got worse.  Anyway, if you have an thoughts, let me know.

Nancy

"Mothers of little boys work from son-up to son-down!"

"My sons  are my greatest accomplishment and the opportunity to raise them  is my greatest challenge"