NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Wentz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 1997 21:36:57 -0600
Helen Fernety wrote:

> I have been asked to give a talk to some La Leche groups about lactose
> intolerance and milk proteins allergies.

In cases of LI in infants: 1.) as Cherie Moore said, they are very,very
rare and 2.) the mom does not have to pump - simply put several drops of
the lactase enyme on her nipples just before nursing and the baby's
sucking action will mix the enzyme in himself with the foremilk in
preparation for the lactose rich hindmilk.

If LI is suspected (and the situation is not life threatening), I would
try to get the mom to completely avoid all milk products for three weeks
and get her to use the enzyme for these weeks.  After being off all milk
products for three weeks there will now only be her natural lactose left
(breastmilk is higher in lactose than cow's milk!).  Have her stop using
the enzymes in the third week (but still remain off milk products)- if
the baby did not get sick again then the baby is reacting to the milk -
if the baby did get sick again then the baby is LI.  In most cases you
will find the mom just needs to stay off dairy!

> I would like to brush up on my information on breastfeeding dairy sensative > infants. Balancing the mothers diets?

I think the most important information a mom facing this is a complete
list of all the names milk is called and a detailed description of how
to go about finding safe foods - including the kashrut markings.  After
she has mastered that she can begin to think about actually getting a
balanced diet.

One other thing, please include loads of milk free recipes, especially
for chocolate.  I have found time and time again women who could give up
everything for their babies - except chocolate!  Whole foods for the
whole family aside, the 'one bowl brownie' recipe from Baker's and a
pound of Fleishman's can be all a new mom really needs to know that she
is really in control (in a horribly scary and out of control situation).

I think the minute a mom realizes that she is in control and can DO this
- she will be fine.  Information is the key to control - and success.

>How long does it take for dairy proteins and sugars to work through
> a mothers system before her milk is entirely dairy free?

The milk proteins take about two weeks before passing completely out of
the mother's milk.  This takes so long that most women don't give it a
chance.  What a shame!

> Infant symptoms of LI and milk protein allergies.

Symptoms can include any or all of these: colic, tummy upset (usually
with swollen abdomin), vomiting and/or excessive spitting up after
nursing, excema, dark circles under the eyes, ear infections, chronic
diaper rash usually characterized by a redder (sometimes blistered) area
about the size of a quarter surrounding the anus, chronic runny nose,
breathing problems (including chronic bronchitis), and of course these
can all lead up to the dreaded anaphalaxis.

You can contact LLLI at 1-800-LALECHE for the most updated research on
all of this.  Ask for the medical library.  My babies are 5 and 7 now,
so I went through this just a little while ago - but the research can
change very quickly sometimes!

Hope this is of some help.  Good luck to you!

--
Kathy Wentz              I've never had a humble opinion in my life.
[log in to unmask]      If you're going to have one, why bother to