NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Heidi Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 13:28:22 -0400
>> Does anyone know if Centrum Multivitamins contain lactose?  It's not
>> listed as an ingredient but can lactose be a filler and not get
>> listed?
>
>In vitamins, yes. Foods, no.
>
>> I started taking them (and Caltrate 600, which has "no
>> lactose" printed on the bottle) a few days ago and noticed mild
>> symptoms of lactose intolerance but I'm not sure its the culprit since
>> I still have a little dairy in my diet.  I stopped taking the vitamins
>> the last couple of days and I feel better.  Can anyone recommend a
>> multivitamin that is definitely lactose free?

I had the exact same reaction to Centrum vitamins (before realizing I was
lactose intolerant). I couldn't figure out why I kept feeling worse while I
was taking vitamins to feel better. As Mark Feblowitz mentions, most
natural brands indicate if they're dairy, lactose, or milk free. In terms
of mass produced multivitamins, I've had success with One-A-Day for Women
(because of the extra calcium and iron). Read the labels carefully and as
your pharmacist if you have a question.

Heidi Schwartz