NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kris Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 12:27:48 EST
I'm asking this question for a friend.  She has a 10 yo daughter who has been
treated on and off for four years for gastric reflux (diagnosed with
endoscopy).  Her only symptom has been nausea.  The first time she was
treated, she no longer needed the meds after a while and did fine.  She became
somewhat worse in the fall but didn't need the meds again.  Fall of 97 she had
more trouble, started meds again but this time they didn't help.  They did the
breath test with lactose and she scored very high levels, so they recommended
lactaid with every meal and snack rather than limited dairy, and she improved.

Last fall she worsened again and started the med for reflux again, with only
minor improvement.  Her mom is worried about her taking so much lactaid, as
the doctor's only remaining advice was to increase the dosage.  This time, her
nausea seems to come on a couple hours after eating rather than immediately
after eating like it used to.

Any suggestions?  I have suggested that she stop dairy entirely, but the mom
is really reluctant to do this because she says her daughter is "a very picky
eater."  I think she may need to try it anyway, but thought I'd ask here for
any other suggestions.  I don't have any personal experience with kids who are
LI and using lactaid.

Kris