NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 1997 11:53:19 -0500
>> All of these recipes use margarine instead of butter.
>
>Since margarine is so incredible unhealthy couldn't you replace it with
>a healthy oil. I'm by far not a cook, so I don't know what would be a
>good substitute but I do know margarine is not a wise choice.
>
>Kel

My nutritionist has been recommending for years that I use oil (preferably
olive oil) in any recipe that calls for butter or margarine (except, of
course, things like icing, which need the body of one or the other). My son
has taken a liking to having olive oil and salt on his baked potato in
place of margarine. We use corn oil in recipes where the flavor of olive
oil is too strong - we may try some of the "extra light" olive oils, that
derive their names from their light flavor (they're still pure oil, so
they're not about to be lower in fat!).

I'm still looking for a good, artificial butter flavoring for those times
when the oil, the salt, and the flavoring are important, but not the
hydrogenation (i.e., where the stuff is going to be melted anyway so its
artificial "body" is unimportant). All of the butter flavorings that I've
seen are derived from milk. Any suggestions?

Mark