NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Marcotte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 12:04:31 -0400
There are (is?) more than one type of milk protein. I happen to react
(relatively mildly) to the whey proteins but I do not appear to suffer from
eating anything with the casein protein. Casein, as I understand it, is the
more likely culprit to cause a milk allergy. Perhaps your son is more like
me except for having a much more severe reaction. I stay away from anything
with whey in the ingredients list. It's amazing how many products have whey
in them. It's hard to offer advice about taking chances because I do that
far too often myself. But I'm an adult and can make my own decisions.
Perhaps you should be extra careful on your son's behalf. I have a
suggestion for finding store bought items that are milk free. Although not
Jewish myself, I find the Kosher labelling to be extraordinarily helpful.
Look for foods with Parve or Pareve on them somewhere. They are certified
to be milk free.

Don M