NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kris Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 09:46:56 EST
In a message dated 1/23/99 12:09:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Kris Moore wrote:
 >I have been told by an allergist that my daughter does NOT
  have a dairy allergy.  I have been told by a pediatric
  gastroenterologist that my daughter IS lactose intolerant, despite
 the fact that she had no symptoms during or after the test.<

 My first, admittedly glib, reaction is: find another allergist. Fast. =

When pushed for more help, the allergist said she could do a food challenge.
I have considered this, since it is the only sure way of having the "allergy"
confirmed medically, but finally decided it wouldn't really help my daughter
at this point.  I know how sensitive she is to dairy, I know it's not lactose,
and she's better on a strict dairy free diet.  So what's the point?  We are
trying to get her remaining digestive problems diagnosed, so that's our
highest priority right now.  But it's still important to know that not all
people diagnosed as LI fit into the same neat little box of sensitivity and
symptoms -- as the medical profession likes to think.

Kris