NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 18:33:00 -0500
Daniel Twogood wrote:

> nervous system reactions to casein, the main protein, the most
> allergenic substance we know of.
This does sound like an exhagerration, at the very least. It very well
may be allergenic (experiences of people here would attest to that)
but "the most allergenic substance we know of"?

> The carbohydrate portion is indigestible
> to most people.
Only because of the lack of lactase, no other reason, as far as I know
> For an intelligent person to just take lactaid, or put a
> filter on a cigarette, is beyond my comprehension.
If the only reason we don't digest lactose is the lack of lactase
then taking lactase seems perfectly reasonable.

> "The malignant influence of continuous homogenized milk intake containing
> biologically active xanthine oxidase, especially in youth, is in my
> opinion, a greater health evil than smoking cigarettes." Kurt Oster, M.D.
AGAIN!!! - this is what I was refering to when I said "things ADDED by man".
Homogenization is a process added by man. Non-homogenized milk is readily
available (at least where I live). Please, separate the issues. If milk
is made dangerous by mans actions, then use dairies that have not been
tampered with.

> Robert Cohen and others have studied the effects of the hormones in milk.
I was under an impression Robert simply read about it, not performed studies
on milk. Is that true Robert?

> Milk is high fat food, even the low fat versions. Many, many studies have
> demonstrated the harm of animal fat.
And many, many of those studies are virtually without merit. I am on a
very low carbohydrate diet right now. Most of my calories come from fat
(well over 50%, probably close to 75-80%). Large part of that is animal fat.
I feel better than almost ever in my life. I have read recently a great
deal about low carbohydrate dieting (which means higher fat/protein)
and most of the evidence points that emphasis on low fat in recent years
was a mistake. In any case, discussion of fat evils does not really
belong to this list. As for low fat dairies - skim milk/fat free dairies
are indeed very low in fat, if that's what you want. AGAIN - separate the
issues. If fat is bad, that's not a reason to stop eating all dairies!

> The dairy industry is constantly changing their product as researchers
> find out what certain factions do to us. There ain't enough left to even
> consider putting it in your mouth, much less force upon your children.
Ain't enough left of what?

> I know it's not scientific, but, to me, it all boils down to God's
> intention, His plan. Goat's milk is for goats, cow's milk is for cows.
For all you know I could be an atheist. Can we get to the science please?

> These substances are not designed for human consumption. You want to
> find out why? Just drink the stuff. You may never make the connection,
> but your physiology will.
I may determine if it agrees with me or not. I want to know why, if it does
not. Is that so hard to understand? If the solution is as simple as to
take a pill (like lactase) then I will munch my dairies happily. If not
I will avoid them.

> Between my clinical observations,
Are you a doctor? Medical researcher?

> every component of cow's milk is detrimental to human health.
Every component? Water, salt, whey... Let not get ridiculous here.

Again, we all get the point that you think we should not drink it because
it appears to do us harm (at least some of us). Can you tell us something,
anything, new about what it is that does us harm?

Ilya