NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 1997 19:35:51 -0500
Daniel Twogood wrote:

> > In any case, it seems that if antibiotics, hormones, and other chemicals
> > ADDED by humans is a concern, then eat organic dairies produced without
> > those.
> >
> > No thanks. I'm not concerned about the additives in cigarettes----it's
> > the cigarettes themselves that are the problem. I also don't care about
> > the antibiotics, hormones, etc. in milk.
>
> It's the milk.
>
> DT

Perhaps you didn't understand. My point was that if milks danger lies in the
things we add to it, then why not avoid those added things. I did not say
that that was the only thing wrong with milk. If you are telling me that milk
itself is the problem, I won't argue with you. All I ask for is an explanation
of what is it about milk that is hurting us and how. You see, in my opinion
if the harm is in well understood parts of milk and there is a way to avoid
those or neutralize them them then we could eat milk without the associated
problems. So far, I have seen references to roughly three groups of things
in milk that create problems for some:
1. Lactose
2. Casein(s)
3. Hormones, pesticides, antibiotics.

Well, Lactose is easy to deal with. Take lactase. Casein I have not yet
found and answer to. My point about the ADDED stuff was in reference to
#3 above. If most of that is the result of being added by humans, then
eat organic dairies and avoid the problem with them. It appears that
natural levels of some hormones may be too high. It is not clear if
those survive digestion, especially if they are not in milk, but in
fermented (acidic) dairies. Now, so far the most credible evidence of
harm comes from those who say casein(s) are responsible. I am trying to
get an answer to how to deal with it. I asked but have not gotten a responce
about digestive enzymes from various sources and whether they may
cleave caseins in a way that would make them harmless. Hopefully somebody
here has an asnwer.

Now, since you say "It's the milk." and compare it to cigarettes, it should not
be too difficult to explain what it is about milk that hurts us (and what
does not). Please don't get upset at this, but if you can't tell us what
it is about milk that's dangerous, then you are not contributing to the
discussion when you simply say "It's the milk." Everyone here at least
suspects this. Repeating it without explanations just wastes bandwidth.

Ilya