NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Karin Dietterich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 08:51:28 -0800
> As far as retaliation in food service goes, I am hearing more frequent
> rumors about service staff spitting on food, throwing it in the floor, etc.
> when they get a picky customer.  I was wondering if anyone had experience
> that in regards to your allergy, i.e. ignoring requests because they don't
> feel like accomodating you.

Having spent many years in the food service industry, I can tell you that
while the wait staff may be truly annoyed at a customer, I have never
seen anyone retaliate in the manner you suggest.  I wonder if this is
yet another urban legend.

So far, my experience in eating out has been wonderful.  I can say that the
best attention has been paid when I didn't eat during a peak mealtime.
This is safest anyway since during very busy times, the possibility of
cross-contamination in the kitchen is much higher.  The best experience
I've had was at a very fine restaurant in Portland, OR.  The chef made
each of my courses separately and substituted grape seed oil or olive oil
for butter and made some creative changes to avoid garnishing my plate
with dairy products.  It was a delightful meal and I got the impression
that the chef was enjoying the challenge.  Fruit soup for dessert.  YUM!
Note that we got there at 5:00pm, before the rush, which allowed the chef
the time required to meet my needs successfully.

When making dinner reservations I will ask about accomodating a dairy
allergy as well.  If the restaurant knows up-front, they are more likely
to be able to accomodate special dietary needs.

Karin
--
Karin Dietterich                [log in to unmask]

The last good thing written in C was Franz Schubert's Ninth Symphony.
                --Christa Ptatchek