NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tanya Bumgardner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 20:17:09 -0500
> You mentioned "my allergy" in your last post, but also
> refered to how tough it is to get used to not being
> able to eat foods you've eaten for 27 years.  Do you
> have a milk allergy or have you developed LI?

I have had various illnesses since birth that my doctor thinks may have been
linked to an undiagnosed allergy.  And when telling my dad about it the
other night, he said everyone one in my grandmother's family had a milk
allergy.

I have been on an elimination diet to determine a problem with milk but I
haven't had any blood tests.   I first thought I was LI because a lot of my
problems with GI problems.  But since I have been off diary, even small
amounts make my itch and make my sinuses flair up.  So I am guessing it's an
allergy I've had since birth that has gone untreated, thus wrecking havoc on
my body.  I am happy to say I am doing much better since I am off the milk.

> > whether or not, and how common, it is to have food
> allergies develop as an adult.

Unfortunately, from doctors and what I've read, I think I've had mine since
birth.  If the research I read is correct, it is a hidden allergy so my body
never reacted immediately.  I read one article that said the hidden allergy
begins as colic, never gets treated, the affected person continues to live a
dairy rich life style, then in the 20s and 30s, it hits like a tons of
bricks, turning the immune system on itself.  I don't know how solid that
is, but it describes my life to a T.  Interesting, huh?

Of course, now I wonder if I would have outgrown this if my parents and
doctors had caught it when I was a baby.

Tanya