NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Laurie Carson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 May 1997 08:45:08 -0600

> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Wed, 28 May 1997 20:01:11 -0400
> From:    The Finnerty's <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Whey seems ok, cheese?
>
> I find it interesting that many people have "tried" different variations of
> milk protein with their allergic children.  I'm petrified to even bring a
> milk product into the house.  Is your pediatrician/allergist advising you
> to do this kind of "test"?  I do not have a lot of confidence in skin/blood
> tests by themself - I believe too that clinical experience is necessary to
> "confirm" the allergy, however, knowing what happened to our kids once is
> enough to NOT let me "test" any milk derivative.  Any comments?
>
> Marie

Marie -

  In our case, all the exposures to various dairy products have been accidental
since the allergy was first diagnosed.  I did try a few things, at first, hoping
it was some additive in the formula, for example, rather than dairy.  But with
Alyssa, I "try" things by touching her skin, not giving it to her to eat.

  That said, our pediatric allergist does recommend food challenges (if the
reaction is not anaphylactic) on a regular basis (every 6 months).  This is
done at his office, and you wait up to several hours for a reaction.  He'd
prefer a double blind challenge (being a research-type) but settles for a
known food unless it's part of a study.  I have not done this yet for Alyssa
since she has had accidental exposures about every 6 months, and still reacts.
The challenge tests let you know in a controlled setting whether your child
(or yourself) is still having an allergic reaction.  It would (IMHO) not be
very informative for delayed or sublte reactions (like excema after several
days of soy, for example).  This sort of challenge would best be done at home.

Laurie