NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rosie McKeever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 May 1998 11:49:19 EDT
   Hi Guys,
   I found this list of things we CAN eat "with Lactose Intolerance" on the
net.
   See what you think?
   Hugs,
   Rosie

Danger Zones And Some Alternate Choices

Bread, the staple of a healthy diet, is frequently made with milk.
However, Wegmans has some varieties that contain no milk or milk
products as an ingredient.
From Our Central Bakery:

•Wegmans Kids Bread •Wegmans Sliced Italian •Wegmans Sliced Wheat
Italian •Golden Meal •Wegmans Lite Italian •Wegmans Lite Wheat •Wegmans
Lite White •Wegmans Old Fashioned Wheat •Wild Winds Wheat •Wild Winds
Oatmeal

In-Store Baked Breads:

•Baguette •Batard •Epi •Parisian •Farmstyle •Pain de Campagne •Pani
Italian •Sicilian Twist
•Round Italian •Pain Au Levain (baquette and rolls) •100% Whole Wheat
with Organic Flour •Rye •Caraway Rye •Pumpernickel •Marble Rye •Challah

Hot dogs and cold cuts often contains "non-fat dried milk" or "milk
solids." We noted some varieties in our luncheon meat section that are
milk-free:

•Kosher meat and poultry products •Wegmans Beef Bologna •Wegmans Chopped
Ham •Wegmans Lebanon Bologna

Margarine often contains whey and/or other milk products. A few of the
new "lite" spreads do not:

•Smart Beat •Weight Watchers Extra Light •Promise Ultra •Promise
Unsalted sticks •Willow Run sticks (may be found in Olde World in some
stores.)

Some Alternate Choices:

Ice cream, sherbet and frozen dessert lovers have a number of
choices...try a fruit sorbet or Italian ice, or pick up a pint of
Tofutti soybean "ice cream," available in our Olde World shop. Remember:
"sherbet" typically has milk in it, "sorbet" does not. Milk chocolate
means STOP so go with semi-sweet chocolate instead.
Chances are you can find a cracker or cookie you like, too. From a quick
glance in the cracker aisle we found quite a few:

•Triscuits •Ritz •Nabisco Premium Saltines •Wegmans Honey or Cinnamon
Grahams •Wegmans Animal Crackers •Nabisco Ginger Snaps

MSG (Monosodium glutamate) flavor enhancers are often listed as a
possible source of lactose. We found that Accent does not contain any
lactose.