NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kris Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 19:16:09 EST

I sympathize with your daughter's problems, Kris. But her reactions =
bolster my position. That she did not have a reaction to =
the breath test would appear to mean that her symptoms are all =
allergy driven, and not from LI. A surprisingly large percentage =
of people with LI show no symptoms at all. On the other hand, milk =
hypersenstitivity symptoms in children can be mostly gastrointestinal.
Just to clarify my position: The fact that milk allergies and =
lactose intolerance are unrelated does not preclude a person =
from suffering from both. It is also possible that damage to the =
intestines from allergies, such as from gluten, may destroy the =
body's ability to manufacture lactase, a problem known as =
Secondary LI.

Please don't miss my point, as it is VERY important.  I have been told by an
allergist that my daughter does NOT have a dairy allergy.  I have been told by
a pediatric gastroenterologist that my daughter IS lactose intolerant, despite
the fact that she had no symptoms during or after the test.

My daughter or another person like her could say "I have been diagnosed as
lactose intolerant, but lactase supplements don't help me at all.  I have been
told that I do not have a dairy allergy, but I react to the tiniest trace of
dairy."

I posted this on an AOL lactose intolerance message board, and was promptly
blasted by two "experts" that this was wrong, wrong, wrong, that people who
are lactose intolerant can normally tolerate one to two cups of milk a day
with food, and that there is no reason to avoid dairy in processed foods.  One
of them went so far as to state "Lactose intolerance causes no symptoms in
adults."!!!

I believe there is a group of people out there, like my daughter, who are
somewhere in an "undefined" area of dairy intolerance that has yet to be
researched and understood.

So, please, if you hear someone say "I am lactose intolerant.  I can't eat ANY
dairy at all, not even a tiny bit, or I get very sick."  DON'T tell them that
they are crazy or just plain wrong, wrong, wrong!!

By the way, we can't assume that my daughter's reaction to dairy is a true
allergic reaction.  We can theorize, we can guess, but the fact is we just
don't know what is going on when she reacts to dairy.

Kris