NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Greg Epler Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 20:39:45 -0500
Debby Kempf asked me to post my recipe for non-dairy choc chip cookies,
so here it is.  I modified it from the recipe on pg. 262 of the Silver
Palate Cookbook (1982, ISBN 0-89480-204-6).

Giant Chocolate-Chip Cookies

1/2 of a pound tub of non-dairy margarine, softened (the original recipe
calls for two sticks of sweet unsalted butter)
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar (I use turbinado or organic)
2 eggs  (I use organic, no-antibiotics)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I soak my own beans a couple weeks in vodka
in a tall, skinny glass jar)
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (I use organic white)
1 teaspoon baking soda (I use a heaping tsp)
1 teaspoon salt (even though most non-dairy margarines contain lots of
salt, I still add this because it enhances the flavor for my taste.)
1-1/2  cups semisweet chocolate chips (Non-dairy, obviously.  I use
organic from the co-op.  And I put in closer to 2 cups.)

1. Preheat oven to 325 F.  Grease a cookie sheet (I use two hollow
ungreased teflon cookie sheets and rotate them through the
baking/cooling cycle.)
2.  Cream margarine and both sugars together until kind of light.  Add
eggs and vanilla and mix well.
3.  Sift dry ingredients together, and then stir into the liquid, mixing
well.  Add the chocolate chips (and an optional cup of chopped walnuts
or pecans) to the batter and blend well.
4.  I use a heaping average-size ice cream scoop to plop the batter onto
the cookie sheet, leaving plenty of space between the blobs to allow for
spreading.  (I can fit only six per standard-sized cookie sheet--two
rows of three.)
5.  Bake on the middle rack for 15 minutes.  Watch they don't get too
brown, and use a fork to make sure the centers are soft and done, but
not overdone (they remind me of pancakes without the bubbles as they cook).
6.  Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring the
cookies to a rack to cool completely.

I wind up with 15-16  6-inch cookies.  Mine come out really light and
relatively fluffy like cakes, not the thick, heavy,
sink-to-the-bottom-of-your-stomach kind, even if they're locally-baked,
that I often come across at the general store.

--
Greg Epler Wood
369 South Union Street