NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 11:02:34 EDT
<<Do I see a pattern here?  The kids with anaphylactic reactions and
behavioral
reactions don't seem to be "outgrowing" their allergies. The ones with GI and
skin reactions are?  Did anyone else notice that? Does anyone have an idea
why that might be the case?>>

It's very possible that these are two different underlying conditions to
begin with. My understanding is that anaphylactic reactions are mediated by
the IgE antibodies, while GI reactions are mediated by other sets of
antibodies. This is sometimes referred to as a distinction between "true"
allergy and a protein "hypersensitivity". Many people, even doctors, tend to
lump these together since in both cases the only thing to do is to avoid
dairy proteins. But they are not necessarily the same.

Steve Carper