NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Laurie Carson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 1997 09:48:54 -0600
> On Fri, 15 Aug 1997 13:37:05 -0400 Kimberly Sherwood <[log in to unmask]>
> writes:
>
> > It is absolutely impossible for a baby to be allergic
> >to his mother's milk.
>
> According to my pediatrician and allergist, babies can be allergic to the
> proteins in human breastmilk and not just something in the mother's diet.

Although I don't have any research or literature to support this, I wonder
why it's so hard to believe that a baby could possibly be allergic to
breastmilk proteins.  There's all sorts of people allergic to every sort
of protein imaginable - why not breastmilk proteins?  Sure, most of the
time, it will be a foreign protein (cow's milk, peanut, whatever), but is
it really "impossible" to be allergic to the breastmilk protein?  I always
thought any protein was capable of triggering the allergic response.
This, of course, would not be compatible with human life, in earlier
times, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

Laurie