NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kimberly Sherwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 1997 15:50:48 -0400

<< Although I don't have any research or literature to support this, I wonder
 why it's so hard to believe that a baby could possibly be allergic to
 breastmilk proteins.  There's all sorts of people allergic to every sort
 of protein imaginable - why not breastmilk proteins?  Sure, most of the
 time, it will be a foreign protein (cow's milk, peanut, whatever), but is
 it really "impossible" to be allergic to the breastmilk protein?  I always
 thought any protein was capable of triggering the allergic response.
 This, of course, would not be compatible with human life, in earlier
 times, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

 Laurie

Here is a quote from "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding":  "Protection against
allergy is one of the many advantages a baby receives from his mother's milk.
 Your baby will not be allergic to your milk; you can count on this with
certainty.  It is a law of nature that infants never become sensitized to
their natural food.
Proteins make the critical difference.  The protein in your milk is totally
compatible with your baby.  The proteins in cow's milk and in formulas based
on cow's milk are potential trouble makers for the human infant."
Kim