NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Marcotte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 20:10:09 -0500

> My non-eloquent question is this: "What's the deal with reaction time (for
> lack of a better term) to foods containing Lactose?"

Well, this is my personal experience and not a medical explanation. I
typically get two types of reactions and they occur at different time
intervals. There is the relatively immediate one: if I have something
with lactose on an empty stomach, I will get gas and diarrhea within 2-6
hours. Two days later get the second symptom: I feel quite lousy for
anywhere from 1 to 3 days, normally 2. Today this happened to
me...something I ate on saturday is getting to me. Now I'm suspicious
that there may be another allergen or intolerance at work. However, when
I stopped eating anything with milk products in it, my sense of
well-being improved. 1996 was not a good year for me. There were periods
of up to 4 weeks where I felt generally lousy. That only happens for
very short periods nowadays. My worst case this year was eating lasagna
on a charter airline coming back from St. Maarten. I felt lousy for 4
days that time. Hope this helps. By the way, my family doctor says it
takes 72 hours for food to totally clear your system. I assume this is
some kind of average, and for normal people <vbg>.

|\