NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Marian Shapiro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 15:59:00 -0800
Jeremy - Like you, I'm a new-ish subscriber. I just became severely lactose
intolerant this past summer after an acute intestinal infection. Also, like you,
I'm very impressed with the quality of contributions I've read here. I also was
confused about reaction times, and did some (unpleasant) experiments with the
support of a nutritionist. We concluded that my reaction time is fairly long - one
dinner out, with hidden cheese in one dish, resulted in mayhem about 12-13 hrs
later, the next morning. I took a bunch of Lactaid tablets and actually reduced
the symptoms within about 4 hours. The Lactaid support line, which I called, said
that although Lactaid is most useful along with the meal, it does ameliorate
symptoms even a day after for many people. I've done the same thing since, when
I've unknowingly eaten something problematic and developed symptoms later. Can't
hurt, anyway, except for the monetary drain from the purchase of the Lactaid. Good
luck!

                                                                Marian