NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 16:00:15 -0500
>>If you're allergic to casein, sodium caseinate, etc, you can have a
>reaction to some Kosher pareve items, since casein is
>considered pareve. That is also the case for some other, milk-derived
>items.<
>
>I don't know of any certifying group that considers casein to be pareve.
>Pareve foods, by definition, can contain nothing that is meat-derived or
>dairy-derived. Perhaps the confusion here stems from other ingredients,
>like lactic acid, which are dairy if derived from milk, but can be pareve=
>
>if they come from a source other than milk. But casein and the caseinates=
>
>are not pareve.

I am fairly certain that Cool-Whip is pareve, and it contains casein
(lots). I also remeber that Coffee-Mate and similar non-dairy creamers
contain casein and are considered pareve. A friend of mine who is quite
religious used to make pareve ice cream (before there was Tofutti or Rice
Dream) using frozen Cool Whip.

Casein, by definition, is protein derived from milk. You can't get milk
protein from anything but milk. One seller of casein puts its milk protein
content of casein at 93%. If you can find a source of casein derived from
other than milk, I'd be quite surprised.